Other than the wiring connections None of the parts removed are required for the installation of the new kit
– Undo / unclip and remove the Alternator’s main power cable and the 3-pin plug.
– Undo and remove all the fasteners for the alternator, belt tensioner and the intake manifold support.
– 3sge Beams Blacktop only: Undo and remove the bolt for the the top dip-stick support but leave the dip-stick in place.
– Remove the Alternator, it’s drive belt and the intake manifold support.
– Undo and remove the fasteners for and remove the alternator support bracket,
– With the original bracket removed if any studs were used to hold it in place then they also need to be removed. Studs can be removed by locking two nuts together and undoing the bottom nut, see here for a guide video.
Installation – Main bracket and Alternator
– Fit and tighten the two supplied bolts for the new bracket against the bottom of the engine block. The recessed mounting hole in the bracket uses a 20mm long cap bolt and the rear uses a 30mm long bolt along with a washer.
– Slide an Alternator from the 1 / 2NZ series engine on to the new mount. This is mounted using the 75mm long bolt with a single stainless washer under the head. The two thick gold coloured washers are fitted between the rear alternator leg and the mount, see the picture below.
Initially tighten this bolt firmly to let the Alternator clamp to the mount before then unwinding the bolt a little- the bolt needs enough tension for the Alternator to not have any excess movement but enough for it to be able to pivot still.
Installation – Tensioner assembly[ 1 ] – Base spacer (hidden): Fitted behind the base bracket and the block. In the photo it is only the outer edges are visible.
[ 2 ] – Washer: M8 x 19 – Stainless steel.
[ 3 ] – Washer: M8 x 22 – Stainless steel.
[ 4 ] – Washer: M8 x 17 – Gold Zinc.
– The tensioner base bracket is bolted to the engine block with the supplied spacer under it. Use the x2 flange bolts fitted through the base bracket, spacer and into the engine block, tighten once fitted. No washers are used.
– For the tensioner arm follow the layout as pictured and the description below.
1- 3sge Beams blacktop engines [Pictured]: For these engines the pivot bolt also holds the dipstick in place using the supplied spacer. The M8 x 50mm bolt (50mm) is fitted through the parts in this order: dip-stick mount, the supplied spacer, tension base bracket, Stainless washer (M8 x 19), slider arm bracket and retained with a flange nut. Leave finger tight only.
2- Earlier S-engines: For all other type of S-series engines fit the M8 x 25 bolt through the tension base bracket, Stainless washer (M8 x 19), slider arm bracket and retain with a flange nut. Leave finger tight only.
– The Alternator is swung up and held in place with the M8 x 25mm bolt. This bolt has an M8 x 22 Stainless steel washer under the head and a second washer (Gold zinc M8 x 17) is placed between the tension arm and the top leg of the Alternator. Leave finger tight only.
Installation – Drive belt and tensioning
– With the Alternator pushed in as close to the engine block as possible, slide the drive belt over the inner row of the main crank pulley first and then over the Alternator pulley.
– Pull the Alternator outwards until the belt has the correct tension and fully tighten all the fasteners.
Installation – Wiring
– Reconnect the 3-pin plug.
– Refit the main lead, fit and tight the retaining nut.